Joan Trimble Awards
The Joan Trimble Awards was established in memory of the Enniskillen-born musician and composer, Joan Trimble.
Much of Joan’s life was spent in London, where she studied, performed, composed, and for many years taught as a Professor at the Royal College of Music. Her links with Fermanagh remained central to her, however, and following the death of her father she became Chairman & Managing Director of the Trimble family newspaper The Impartial Reporter. She returned to live permanently in Enniskillen in 1978 where she remained until her death in 2000, aged 85.
Whilst celebrated widely for her musical gifts, Joan was passionate about all the creative arts – from literature to the visual arts, crafts, dance and drama – and she was a tireless champion of Irish culture.
The Awards was launched by Joan’s family in 2002 to recognize her lifelong commitment to County Fermanagh, to creativity and Irish culture. Through the encouragement of young people to participate in, be inspired by, and to enjoy a rich diversity of cultural activities, Joan’s vision of wider opportunity and access to the arts for new generations is being perpetuated.
What the Fund Supports
Young people (up to 25 years of age) resident in County Fermanagh to undertake activities in the fields of the creative/performing arts and Irish culture.
Individuals AND organisations only may apply
How the Awards are Managed
· The Awards is administered by The Fermanagh Trust.
· An Advisory Group meets twice a year. It is formed of 3 family members, the Director of the Fermanagh Trust, and members of the Fermanagh community with wide-ranging specialist knowledge.
· Grants range from £500 to £1,500 (for exceptional projects a maximum of £3,000 may be awarded).
· The Advisory Group’s decision is final.
There is a formal application form which can be downloaded from www.fermanaghtrust.org or the form is available directly from the Fermanagh Trust on 028 66 320 210.
Applications for awards should be made by completing the application form and returning to TheJoan Trimble Awards c/o The Fermanagh Trust (see below).
Closing Dates for applications are;
31st July 2013 and 31st January 2014
Applications should be sent to:
The Joan Trimble Awards
c/o Lauri McCusker
The Fermanagh Trust
Enniskillen, BT74 7HR
Telephone: 028 66 320210
If you are not sure whether your project fits within the guidelines, please phone The Fermanagh Trust offices for advice.
Advisory Group (at January 2013)
Caroline Gant (Chair)
Helen Lanigan Wood
Joanna McVey (Secretary)
Recent projects supported include:
- The Elastic Band (Fermanagh Concert Band), to support emerging brass and woodwind players
- Masterclasses through Fermanagh Feis (Jazz, Classical Music, Drama, Verse)
- Photographic Project & Exhibition at Fermanagh County Museum
- Dylan Quinn Dance projects
Projects with Primary Schools and The Erne School for young people with special needs